On the Brink

Monday, September 11, 2006

The Future Letters...

I really enjoyed our Capstone class last week. We were all required to write letters to Mr. Weaver pretending that it was the year 2016. It was fun listening to everyone not only describe there dream jobs, but also explain how they got to those jobs. My letter was very in depth with plenty of details. Part of me thinks that some of those dreams can really be accomplished. But the more I think about those things, the more I realize that I really have no idea where I'll be in ten years. Don't get me wrong, I think it's good to have a plan. You can have an idea of where you'd like to go and what you'd like to do, but an opportunity can come from anywhere at anytime and completely derail those plans. None of us really know for sure where we'll be in 2016, but it is fun to think about!


Connecting to the Letters...

I felt like I was connected to a few of the letters from class. Obviously I would like to end up in sports, but I've thought about doing news and possibly even entertainment too. Aidan and Kirstan seem to be more interested in the entermainment business, and I could see both of them doing that. You can tell they have a passion for it.

I really enjoyed Amy's letter/goals too. I've always thought about going into sports journalism or sports writing. I think it's awesome that she wants to continue writing for a publication here on campus. I know she'll do great because from listening to her talk last Thursday, I could tell that she really enjoys writing and that she wants to keep writing no matter what.

Listening to Leanne talk about her internship was very imformative. I've heard a lot of good things about her experience. Mr. Weaver, DJ and Jason Mackey have continued to talk to me about how important internships are, especially in the sports world. Listening to Leanne made me think more and more about that possibility.

And finally, I feel like I connected to what DJ had to say the most because I think we both have the same goals in mind. No matter how long it takes or what we have to go through, we both need to be involved in sports. DJ has even inspired me. I remember a couple of years ago when DJ first came to Westminster and he had a lot of other things in his life that he enjoyed along with broadcasting. But now two years later as a senior, DJ has put broadcasting first on his priority list. He works harder now then ever before. He's focused on making it in the sports world, and after watching him throughout his broadcasting journey here at Westminster, there's no doubt in my mind that he will in fact make it to ESPN. DJ has turned into an excellent role model for underclassman interested in sports.


Thanks for reading what's been on my mind. You've been "On the Brink" with the Brinksta! Check back in next week.

2 Comments:

  • Wow Brink, that's really amazing, I'm really honored. Thinking back a couple years, I see the old Brinksta, and I laugh, because who thought it would be like this...we go from singing 'Hawaiian Rainbow' to being the 1,2 punch for the voice of Westminster Titans. It's definitely been a ride, and with your last semester here, I'm sure there's more bumps to come, but one thing is for sure. I'll be here supporting you all I can, in whatever way I can. I'm positive that whatever you do, you'll be the best at it, you always are. I told Amy about the "Old Guy" who quoted about being a master of one trade, instead of a jack of all. Well, every once in a while there comes somebody thats so good at all they do, that it's hard to find a focus, and if there's anybody in sports that can do it all....The Brinksta can.

    By Blogger DJ Yokley, at 5:51 PM  

  • Hope you get a chance to find a weblog of a sports person to review. The next blog assignment will play off of that discussion.

    Suggestions:
    http://newmexiken.com/archives/2006/06/008662.php

    http://www.coblesan.com/blog/archives/2006/02/mashup_sportsca.html

    http://sports.crimsonlight.com/2006/07/is-sports-reporting-just-overly-negative-2/

    By Blogger Brad Weaver, BC Instructor, at 9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home