On the Brink

Monday, October 30, 2006

75h Career Broadcast Approaching...

Next weekend's football game against Thiel will be the final time I announce an away football game for the Titans. But more importantly, Saturday's game will be my 75th career broadcast as a member of the Broadcast Communications department. 75 is a pretty high number for someone who just switched into the major a year and a half ago. It's hard to believe that my time at Westminster is almost up, but it's almost harder to believe I've been behind the mic for 75 Westminster sporting events.

A couple years ago when the Westminster women's basketball team was in the NCAA Playoffs, my broadcasting partner Sebastian Driver told me that it was his 100th career broadcast. I asked him, "you keep track of all your broadcasts?" And he said that once he started announcing games, he kept a running tab of all the times he had announced. At first I thought it was a little weird, but a couple days later I started up a word document with a list of all the games I called for either Titan Radio or the Westminster Cable Network. I really wanted to get to 100 career broadcasts. That was my goal. But it looks like even if I announced every men's and women's basketball game from now until December when I graduate, I will not be able to reach that goal.
Nevertheless, 75 is a pretty good number. I've enjoyed my time here at Westminster and I want to take this time to personally thank Dr. B for giving me the opportunity to be a part of some wonderful moments in Westminster sports history. I've spent many hours traveling from school to school, but in the end, it's definetly been worth it.

Now I'm going to leave everyone with my Top 5 Broadcasting Memories of all time. Hope you enjoy...

5) October 28th, 2006 Westminster @ Frostburg State (Football)

Simply out of control. 30 degree temperatures, 50 mile an hour winds, snow, rain, sleet, and oh yeah, we were outside announcing on the roof of the press box to top it off! The Titans lost the game 14-6, but I'll never forget what Dr. B said on the ride home: "In all my years of announcing, I've never experienced anything like this."

4) December 7th, 2005 Westminster @ Allegheny (Men's Basketball)

Dr. B, myself, and Justin Egley rented out a campus car and made our way to the little town of Meadville, PA to announce a regular season men's basketball. Little did we know that it would turn out to be one of the craziest experiences of the year. After getting lost on campus, not knowing where the arena was, and getting there a half hour before tip-off, there was no phone line for us to broadcast off of! So...we had to resort to the cell phone.

3) February 18th, 2006 Waynesburg @ Westminster (Men's Basketball)

The infamous "hiccup" game. For some reason Dr. Barner was not at the game, so I was doing the play-by-play announcing alongside D.J. Yokely who was the color commentator. Everything went great during the 1st half. At halftime though I went to get a drink of water. That's when things got real bad. That's when I started to get the hiccups. As a play-by-play announcer for the Westminster Men's Basketball team, you pretty much talk the whole time, because the action never stops. However, that's very hard to do when you have the hiccups! Also, a big thanks to my man D.J. who laughed at me throughout the entire 2nd half. I love you man.

2) February 26, 2005 Westminster @ W&J (Women's Basketball)

PAC Championship 2005. The Lady Titans beat the heavily favored W&J Presidents to claim the PAC title and there first ever NCAA Division III playoff bearth. I had the call with Sebastian Driver.

1) March 2nd, 2005 Westminster vs. Dickinson (Women's Basketball)

To this day, still the greatest Westminster sporting event I've ever watched. I feel honored to have brought the game to so many students/faculty/fans listening back in New Wilmington. Very few people gave the Lady Titans a chance to beat W&J. And none of those people thought Westminster could beat Dickinson. An unbelievable game, and I had the call....

3 Comments:

  • Steve, that's awesome, happy 75th old man! :)

    By Blogger Liz Farry, at 6:05 AM  

  • Love the top five! That hits reflective and helps you recount moments that maybe you can touch on in job interviews as well.

    By Blogger Brad Weaver, BC Instructor, at 4:06 PM  

  • I remember that hiccup game, that was awesome, I don't think I've ever laughed so hard in my life. Love ya buddy!

    By Blogger DJ Yokley, at 7:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home